Monday, March 31, 2014

LOLLAPALOOZA 2014

Last week was my birthday. Being abroad and not having any friends yet made it a rather boring birthday. I did, however, have quite a great belated celebration. This weekend I went to a two day music festival here in Santiago : Lollapalooza Chile 2014. It. Was. AWESOME.

I saw some bands I knew: Ellie Goulding, Imagine Dragons, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, Kid Cudi, Lorde...some bands I didn't: Cage the Elephant, Portugal the Man, Flume, Phoenix...and some really great Spanish acts: Ana Tijoux, Natalia Lafourcade, Francisca Valenzuela, Cafe Tacvba....Wow. I arrived about 1-2o'clock both days and didn't leave until almost midnight. I was armed with my fanny pack stuffed with snacks (fanny packs are all the rage here - hard to pickpocket!), a couple friends, and we were ready to dance. And, boy, did I dance. I'm left with memories, new bands to research, and a decent sunburn. :) It's too bad things like this don't happen every weekend.

This was one of my favorite things at Lollapalooza. This colorful globe moved and would follow us around. It bumped into crowds and pushed everyone REAL close. It misted water, blew bubbles out of the top, shot fire and confetti, and glowed different colors at night. It's one of the goofiest things I have ever seen:


                    




This is Flume. Some DJ that was super fun to dance too. 
SUPER cool, small, indoor arena


Ellie Goulding


Flux Pavilion. Another DJ.


Confetti at the Arcade Fire concert. Photo by my friend, Cassidy.


Cool Heart/Note sculpture in Kidzapalooza.


More happenings in Kidzapalooza.


Reminiscent of Hunger Games, anyone?


Lorde



I have some really cool videos of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Vampire Weekend, and Arcade Fire but they're not wanting to work...just know that it was cool. Being one of thousands and thousands of people singing and dancing together is an incredible feeling. Events like this should be mandatory. I didn't feel foreign while there (granted, there were tons of Europeans and other foreigners around). I did wonder if the Chileans around me knew what they were singing...but it doesn't matter, really. All bonded by the love of music. :)

I'm finally started to fill my free time with adventures. I'm planning on heading to Valparaiso this weekend. Fingers crossed for good weather and last minute beach endeavors! I need a good, full, weekend of sun. As I write this, I'm sitting by my space heater...ut oh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment