First, I have seen some of the prettiest skies here! My favorite :)
I'm really enjoying the food here. Especially because a popular plate, chorrillana, is a huge portion of french fries and meat topped with eggs. Mmmmm...also, the internet didn't lie to me: EVERYTHING comes with avocado, tomato, and a lot of mayonnaise. It's pretty good. So, so far no complaints. On our last night of CIEE orientation, our program coordinator's friend came to the hostel to make us an asado. It. was. delicious. Meat after meat after meat...
I love all of the graffiti. I think it makes a city so much brighter. Even if they are of weird drawings, hey, the more color, the better. This one has been one of my favorites so far and was found on our dreaded trip to register our visas and apply for IDs (think DMVx2):
On that note (incorrect spelling), everyone I've talked to seems super interested in learning English. As soon as I mention that I'm an English teacher - which still feels really weird for me to say - they tell me that they are trying to go back to school for it or are learning to read it. Even the taxi driver that drove me to my new apartment asked me if I'd be interested in an intercambio, a sort of swapping of languages. I would help him with his English while he would help me with my Spanish. Don't worry everyone, I'm not going to go meet up with some crazy person. It's just neat to know that people might be interested in something like this.
I started my job! I get Mondays off this semester - woohoo three day weekends! - and the 30-40 minute metro ride really isn't that bad. I almost always get a seat. And I love my campus! The architecture is neat. There are four buildings connected by outdoor stairwells and bridge hallways. It's beautiful and all of my coworkers are incredibly helpful and nice. The books weren't here this week so all of the English teachers exchanged ideas and powerpoints to help each other out. It was great.
| 2nd floor looking one building to another |
I officially survived week 1! Surprisingly, I wasn't very nervous this week. This week was also the easy week: rules, hello my name is...but I'm excited. So far I really like my groups of students. I have construction students, computer analyst students, and risk management students. They all cooperate and participate for the most part. This week was a little all over the place trying to gauge where they are at, but I'm excited for this next week. Some kids have surprised me with words they know (all that online gaming my students do) and others have surprised me with how little they know.
I visited a few potential apartments and feel in love with this one right away. Ana, my roommate, came off very friendly from the start. She's in her early thirties (I think) and is into theater and play writing. She even travels with the theater group she works for. We also have similar taste. Her apartment is superrrrr cute. A little small, but I don't need much space. The building is awesome and kind of feels like a hotel. There's a rooftop pool and barbecue pit as well as s gym and a huge place to lock up bikes. Everyone in this area bikes, runs, or goes the gym - I always see people out and about in work out clothes. I still haven't found a zumba studio yet...but I will! There's also a huge park nearby!
My video isn't wanting to work, but here's one: http://www.labicicletaverde.com/tours/critical-mass-free/
Well. That's about it. I don't have any friends yet (my American friends in my group don't count) but that'll change soon. Now, I'm going to leave you with this gem. Enjoy:
Please continue to pray for me, think of me, or send any good juju this way! :) Chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment